Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:15:01 -0700

I'd just throw up my hands and not go...
David I.

Original message
From: "Robert Finley"
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

I have been asked to tune someone's Estey baby grand piano. The owner t=
old me that one of the notes on the piano doesn't work, but I have abso=
lutely no information about the problem, and will have to wait until I =
see and inspect the piano. I assume I will have to fix the problem befo=
re I start the tuning, but wonder how I should approach this.

I presume I will take the action out, compare the action of the faulty =
note with its neighbor's, and diagnose and fix the problem. I am not su=
re what supplies and parts I should bring along in order to repair the =
note. There could be dozens of reasons why the note doesn't work, invol=
ving any of dozens of parts. Maybe there will be a broken part that can=
not be repaired, and a new one has to be ordered (if it is even possibl=
e to get replacement parts for this brand of piano or something close),=
 so the problem couldn't be fixed there and then. Please could you advi=
se me how I should deal with this problem so that I can keep the custom=
er satisfied and happy? Thank you very much.

Robert Finley