Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:30:02 +0100

Hello Robert - until you see the piano it could be any amount of problems
causing this. Even a broken key! (not as uncommon as one might think!) For
that you'll need some "Titebond" glue, some thinnish veneer (to act as a
permanent splint) and, to hold it all in place while the glue dries, a roll
of masking tape. If a broken key is the problem you'll have to remove the
"top action" in order to remove the key - so allow time for this!

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

  _____

From: Robert Finley [mailto:rfinley@rcn.com]
Sent: 26 September 2005 01:43
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

I have been asked to tune someone's Estey baby grand piano. The owner told
me that one of the notes on the piano doesn't work, but I have absolutely no
information about the problem, and will have to wait until I see and inspect
the piano. I assume I will have to fix the problem before I start the
tuning, but wonder how I should approach this.

I presume I will take the action out, compare the action of the faulty note
with its neighbor's, and diagnose and fix the problem. I am not sure what
supplies and parts I should bring along in order to repair the note. There
could be dozens of reasons why the note doesn't work, involving any of
dozens of parts. Maybe there will be a broken part that cannot be repaired,
and a new one has to be ordered (if it is even possible to get replacement
parts for this brand of piano or something close), so the problem couldn't
be fixed there and then. Please could you advise me how I should deal with
this problem so that I can keep the customer satisfied and happy? Thank you
very much.

Robert Finley