Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 06:40:17 -0700

Simply advise them that there are several reasons why a key may not =
work.
Some are simple and quickly remedied, some are more involved.  Until you =
can
assess the situation you won't be able to give them (or yourself) a =
definite
course of action.

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

From: Robert Finley [mailto:rfinley@rcn.com]=20
Sent: 26 September 2005 01:43
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Repair and Tuning of Estey Baby Grand

=20

I have been asked to tune someone's Estey baby grand piano. The owner =
told
me that one of the notes on the piano doesn't work, but I have =
absolutely no
information about the problem, and will have to wait until I see and =
inspect
the piano. I assume I will have to fix the problem before I start the
tuning, but wonder how I should approach this.=20

=20

I presume I will take the action out, compare the action of the faulty =
note
with its neighbor's, and diagnose and fix the problem. I am not sure =
what
supplies and parts I should bring along in order to repair the note. =
There
could be dozens of reasons why the note doesn't work, involving any of
dozens of parts. Maybe there will be a broken part that cannot be =
repaired,
and a new one has to be ordered (if it is even possible to get =
replacement
parts for this brand of piano or something close), so the problem =
couldn't
be fixed there and then. Please could you advise me how I should deal =
with
this problem so that I can keep the customer satisfied and happy? Thank =
you
very much.=20

=20

Robert Finley