Grotrian Steinwegs - to list or not to list?

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:47:30 +0200

Michael:

I wouldnt worry about it.  Been through this a number of times already
with David and its really no sweat.  Pay no attention to these silly spats.

As for your Grotrian.  It was not designed to be a Steinway, so if you
are to stick to their idea of piano sound then muting any of the
backscale lengths is simply innappropriate. Changing that will make the
thing sound other then how Grotrians are supposed to (according to their
makers) sound.  By all means if you feel you like the sound better by
clothing off as I mentioned in my first post, then do so.  Just dont be
suprised to get hit on about it by the guy who comes after you and has a
hair up his butt about that kinda thing :)  The most extreme change of a
Grotrian I ever saw was one that was rebuilt at the Bechstein factory.
All backlengths muted off and the front segments were totally
Bechstein-ized.  Most curious sound I ever heard from a piano really.
Half and Half.  The owner loved it.  I thought it weird but kept that to
myself.

Tell you what you do.  Use masking tape to mask off the backscale
temporarilly.  If you like the resultant sound then braid it off.

Cheers
RicB

Michael Gambles writes;

Oh dear! Oh dear-o-dear! I truly and earnestly had no intention of starting
up this type of cor-res-pon-dence. I originally asked.... The Grotrian
Steinweg, so similar in design and length of backscale, has no listing cloth
other than some thick felt under the backscale in the bass section. Having
just restrung my S&S 'A' and bearing in mind there's "bearing felt" just
before the hitch pins under the hitch loop twists, what does everyone think.
Should I list or not list?