Grotrian Steinwegs - to list or not to list?

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:11:11 +0100

Thanks, David. I shall do some experimenting. First, I think, as a temporary
measure and to quickly discover whether there's a need or not, I shall push
in felt between the back scales of the bass section rather than weave it.
BTW the tonal quality of my S&S'A' has improved hugely as a result of
re-stringing. It now has a big depth of sound even with the lid down. I like
to think it is as a direct result of my bringing it back to pitch so slowly
and evenly.
Regards
Michael G.(UK)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Love [mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net]
Sent: 26 September 2005 16:27
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Grotrian Steinwegs - to list or not to list?

In all likelihood you will probably need to put listing felt through the
bass section and in the lowest tenor where the backscale length jumps on the
bass side of the strut.  I would start there.  If you still find some
unwanted sympathetics then extend the felt upward to where the tenor aliquot
starts--farther if necessary.  Do not felt the capo sections.  Remember,
they were designed to be a tuned and sympathetically ringing duplex (even
though they rarely are and I don't think it really makes much difference,
but that's another story and I won't go there.)

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net