Mandibular voicing was Vice Grip voicing

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:57:04 -0500

I have a trained piranha that lives in my shop: Her name is Jawsette. I
hold the hard hammer over her tank and say, "Up, Girl." She leaps out of
the water, and crunches her chompers on the sides of the hammer. I count to
five, say, "Good girl!" and she flops back into the water. Presto! Crushing
and needling all in one effortless (for me) motion!

I think the little bit of water and fish spit that gets on the hammer
helps, too.

The secret to training Jawsette and maintaining her interest in this sport
is to surprise her with an albino weasel bladder (which looks surprisingly
like a piano hammer) every now and then. But after providing this little
yummy--very important--be sure to reduce the count to three, for awhile, so
that her new-found enthusiasm doesn't result in over-voicing.

I used to have two of these trained apprentices. I'd hold a hammer in each
hand and do them both at once. It was fast, but you really had to pay
attention to detail. My insurance company finally threatened to cancel my
hospital policy; apparently they've seen far too many accidents result from
this and consider it poor shop practice--especially if you're trying to use
your cell phone at the same time.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

P.S. I get my albino weasel bladders at the local Wal-mart, but they have
to be special-ordered since we are in such a remote area. Ask your local
store management if they carry them; see what they say.