key broken by two techs

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:01:52 -0700

Just don't try to re-engineer the Betsy Ross...;-]
David

Original message
From: "Alan Barnard"
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: key broken by two techs

Without seeing the actual damage and condition of the key, and without =
knowing your woodworking capabilities, I offer only this thought: I wou=
ld not reengineer the piano to match the butchered key.

Rather, I would restore the key, even if it meant manufacturing a new o=
ne, or maybe everything from the just behind the keytop to the back of =
the key and assembled with a dove-tail joint, or something similar, tha=
t provides some mechanical strength and lots of glue contact surface ar=
ea.

Tomorrow, I get to tune "The Betsy Ross." Pray for me.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri