small vs large grands

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:59:36 -0500

> Why do consumers buy a small grand instead of a large grand?
>
> Two obvious reasons:
>
>     1. cheaper
>     2. more suited to domestic conditions because
>         (a) smaller footprint and/or
>         (b) not as loud
>
> but it's not clear which of these is the driver, and whether different
> reasons apply to different classes of consumer.
>
> I'll pose a hypothetical question and short circuit reason #1: suppose
> all grands of a particular famous make sold for the same amount. Would
> you expect reason #2 to still drive consumers to the smaller grands, and
> if so is it (a) and (b) that kicks in? or would you expect most
> consumers to go for the big grands and somehow make them work in their
> domestic circumstances?
>
> Stephen

Price is definitely first. They get a GRAND, with all the bragging
rights and glandular secretions, only for less money. Next is size.
They didn't think a bigger one would fit in the room. Later, they
might wish they had a bigger one as they find the lid presents
insufficient acreage for displaying the growing family photo
accumulation. 2b never comes up. Ever. Most folks aren't aware that
pianos  have volume levels, and in too many cases, they don't.

Ron N