Chinese Pianos

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:52:32 EDT

While I'm not a big fan of Chinese pianos in general, they are FAR better
than most of the low end pianos produced in the US in the 70s, 80s and  90s.
Let's see, would I rather work on a Pearl River or an Andrew Kohler  spinet.? Or
an American made Kohler and Campbell piano of that era?

We used to have a few good mid-range pianos built in the US.  Sohmers  and
Everetts were around and were decent little pianos when I first  started in this
business, and not dreadfully expensive.  As near as I can  tell, Charles
Walter is perhaps the only one that fills that bill, and they are  definitely at
the high end of mid-range.

Many of these shiny pianos with disc players are purchased by cheap  people.
By that, I mean people who could afford a Steingraber, but choose  to buy
little Jenny a "beginner's piano," because it is so pretty and a real  deal.
People who think nothing of spending 60 grand on an SUV and all that  money to
fill it with gas, but who don't consider music "serious"  enough to spend real
money on.

For some people, though, even a low-end Chinese studio piano is stretching
the budget to the hilt.  Will I refuse to work on that piano?  No,  because I
see that the people are serious about having their child learn  music.

Let's face it:  manufacturing has gone overseas, and as Ed says, we  have
asked for it.  Who on this list has a computer that wasn't made in  China?  Who
isn't astounded at how inexpensive all of these  electronics goods are these
days?  Everyone likes cheap stuff.  But it  has its cost in human terms, as Ed
pointed out.

The trouble is, when jobs are hard to come buy, even cheap stuff seems
expensive.

ON the griddle,

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 9/29/2005 9:11:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,  A440A@aol.com