Chinese Pianos

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:51:30 -0400

Dave,
Very well put.
Tom Servinsky
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 1:52 AM
  Subject: Re: Chinese Pianos

  While I'm not a big fan of Chinese pianos in general, they are FAR =
better than most of the low end pianos produced in the US in the 70s, =
80s and 90s.  Let's see, would I rather work on a Pearl River or an =
Andrew Kohler spinet.? Or an American made Kohler and Campbell piano of =
that era? =20

  We used to have a few good mid-range pianos built in the US.  Sohmers =
and Everetts were around and were decent little pianos when I first =
started in this business, and not dreadfully expensive.  As near as I =
can tell, Charles Walter is perhaps the only one that fills that bill, =
and they are definitely at the high end of mid-range. =20

  Many of these shiny pianos with disc players are purchased by cheap =
people.  By that, I mean people who could afford a Steingraber, but =
choose to buy little Jenny a "beginner's piano," because it is so pretty =
and a real deal.  People who think nothing of spending 60 grand on an =
SUV and all that money to fill it with gas, but who don't consider music =
"serious" enough to spend real money on. =20

  For some people, though, even a low-end Chinese studio piano is =
stretching the budget to the hilt.  Will I refuse to work on that piano? =
 No, because I see that the people are serious about having their child =
learn music.

  Let's face it:  manufacturing has gone overseas, and as Ed says, we =
have asked for it.  Who on this list has a computer that wasn't made in =
China?  Who isn't astounded at how inexpensive all of these electronics =
goods are these days?  Everyone likes cheap stuff.  But it has its cost =
in human terms, as Ed pointed out.

  The trouble is, when jobs are hard to come buy, even cheap stuff seems =
expensive.

  ON the griddle,

  Dave Stahl

  In a message dated 9/29/2005 9:11:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, =