Re: O.T.     Re: BREAKING NEWS:  The nature of this list

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:15:18 -0400

Tom, (Sivak, not Delay),

As I previously said, I have my doubts that the post in question originated
from the list, but your question raises some issues, in any case.  First, I
suspect that there are as many differences in the cultures of individual
lists as there are similarities.  The protocols that multi-listers like
yourself tend to propagate might, at times, clash with those that have
evolved in a more provincial, (that is, single -lister) environment.  In
other words, there may, in fact, be some  characteristics unique to this
particular list.  As to the WHY question, the fact is, the specific piano
techs, (not "piano techs" in general), some of  whom have lived on this
list for a number of years, often seem oblivious to the "public forum"
aspect entirely, and treat it as if it were a semi-private list. I don't
necessarily mean this as a criticism.  This is true not only for OT issues,
but for some professional and organizational (PTG) issues as
well.   Finally, as for what gets into your computer, that's a whole nother
set of problems.

As always, I could be wrong -

David Skolnik