RE: O.T.     Re: BREAKING NEWS:  The nature of t his list

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:51:51 +0100

Yes, David S and List, I got it and it made absolutely no sense to me in =
the
UK. The exception was that other article about a woman getting a ticket =
of
$1000 for sitting on a N.Y. bench without being in charge of a child. =
That
made even less sense=85=85 :-(

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

=20

  _____ =20

From: David Skolnik [mailto:davidskolnik@optonline.net]=20
Sent: 30 September 2005 14:15
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: O.T.     Re: BREAKING NEWS:  The nature of this list

=20

Tom, (Sivak, not Delay),

As I previously said, I have my doubts that the post in question =
originated
from the list, but your question raises some issues, in any case.  =
First, I
suspect that there are as many differences in the cultures of individual
lists as there are similarities.  The protocols that multi-listers like
yourself tend to propagate might, at times, clash with those that have
evolved in a more provincial, (that is, single -lister) environment.  In
other words, there may, in fact, be some  characteristics unique to this
particular list.  As to the WHY question, the fact is, the specific =
piano
techs, (not "piano techs" in general), some of  whom have lived on this =
list
for a number of years, often seem oblivious to the "public forum" aspect
entirely, and treat it as if it were a semi-private list. I don't
necessarily mean this as a criticism.  This is true not only for OT =
issues,
but for some professional and organizational (PTG) issues as well.
Finally, as for what gets into your computer, that's a whole nother set =
of
problems.=20

As always, I could be wrong -

David Skolnik