refelt vs new hammers

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:16:14 +0100

Hello David

The felt used is long, tapered and triangular in cross-section with a very
long base line - rather like the section through a Swiss house roof. The
length of this base line tapers smaller to the treble end. The apex is put
against the tip of the hammer cores and the glued felt folded round those
cores - maybe twenty at a time - and then pushed into the, presumably
pre-heated caul and left to cool dry. I assume they use hot hide glue. When
dry they are removed from the cauls and stapled. From this process you can
imagine the tension in the felt at the striking point! There is a set of
cauls with the requisite tapering according to the size of hammer
graduations. That's all I know about it!

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Ilvedson [mailto:ilvey@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: 30 September 2005 14:52
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: refelt vs new hammers

I don't quite understand how hammers are refelted?   Maybe someone could
explain how they do that.   The only thing I can figure is they remove all
felt from moldings, glue them together to make up a large molding like new
hammers and then glue on another hammer felt block...cutting apart at the
old seams?

David I.