Butterflies! (spreading hammers)

Carman Gentile cgpiano@humboldt1.com
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:08:39 -0700

My colleagues,

   I hereby present another episode in the continuing saga of how to repair
butterfly hammers.
     Below is a constructive exchange from our colleagues in 2002.  I also
have successfully used CA glue in the past to repair a few separated hammer
felts found in cheap spinets.  Today I encountered a 1949 Poole spinet with
-26- separated hammer head felts. In this job I removed the action to my
shop. This time I experimented with HOT MELT GLUE and it works the best of
any of my remedies so far.  The hot glue is thick enough to not get
absorbed into the felt and sets up faster than CA glue with no clamping.

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter

From: "C Stewart" <calexste@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 3:49 PM
Subject: Butterflies! (spreading hammers)

List,
I'm working on a late 1980's era Baldwin spinet.  It seems to have been
subjected to some excessive humidity at some point in its life, but is in
pretty good shape.  Some of the hammers in the bass section have
butterflied (there are no staples in these hammers).  My question is, short
of removing the action, is there any efficient way to glue and clamp these
back together?  (this piano belongs to my sister in-law, and I have limited
time to work on it).  Preferred glues?
Thanks for any help.

-Court Stewart

I have applied thick CA, sprayed with kicker, and squish together with
fingers and hold for five or ten seconds - done. I must admit though, this
has always been on an older piano. On the ones I have done like this the
resultant tone seems quite consistent with the unaffected hammers. Although
what I have done seems to work fine, I do consider it a "quick and dirty"
method of addressing the problem.

Terry Farrell