Brass Rail to Wood Flange Conversion

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:35:28 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_tlozTjSsvdlEL+/nZkw0Mg)
H i Terry,

I have to jump in on this one. I think that this setup is due to fail.
It seems to me that it won't take long for the rods to dimple in the
flange and the rail. Eventually, I can see the flanges moving forward on
the rail after a few years tightening of the flange screws.

Have you thought about gluing a piece of maple on the rail to fit the
flange, or, glue a strip in the aligned set of flanges and then
recutting and redrill. I think this would have given you a lot bigger
contact surface than just the 2 steel dowels. A piece of sandpaper glued
to the rail would have then prevented the moving around (same as in
older grands' hammer rails).

Just as usual my humble opinion.

Marcel Carey,
Sherbrooke, QC

I checked out the action center position pretty closely before making
this conversion. I just double-checked it with the original setup again
(not that I had ANY doubts!  ;-). It is real close to original - if
anything a quarter of a millimeter low, so I really don't want to lower
it any more.

However, I did incorporate some of Ron's suggestion (although not the
heart of his suggestion) - I ran a length of #17-1/2 music wire along
the bottom side of the flange screw (nice snug fit) and kept the upper
brass rod.

I have to admit that I still like the idea of having the full height of
the flange intimately contacting the action rail. If nothing else, it
will likely make me sleep better at night....

Terry Farrell

BTW: What kind of flange does is completely flat on the back side - no
cut-out?