Pinblock fitting revisited

Ted Simmons tsimmons4@cfl.rr.com
Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:36:40 -0500

Hmm.  My delete button must be on automatic.  You're right and thanks for
putting everything in perspective.

Ted Simmons

From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 06:44:51 -0500
To: Pianotech List <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Pinblock fitting revisited

Maybe you are hitting the delete button too fast? It seems to me the
following responses directly address the gap in the pinblock/flange fit. No=
?

Terry Farrell

Is it safe to assume the piano has been strung for a while and has
stabilized somewhere near standard pitch? I would recommend tapping some
hardwood shims into the gaps between the plate flange and pinblock and see
if that helps - if suddenly it becomes stable, then I guess the answer is
obvious. At least it won't hurt anything.

Terry Farrell

=20
I agree, and the one thing you DON"T want to do is sell him an
expensive wedge and shim job, saying that will fix it, until
you try this.

Ron N

Ted, from my brief experiences with unstable pianos due to what appears
to be a poor-fitting block-to-plate, it's very important. 1/8" is quite
a bit of play, IMHO.

Hardwood shims..re-tune - evaluate.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)

Since the customer is confused by previous advice and research, if the
flange fit IS a problem but the pins are tight and I think I'd flip it over
and use wood and epoxy to fill the gaps rather than try to sell a bigger
job. Don't forget the drop cloth!

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri
=20