laminated ribs

Steve Fujan sjfujan@gmail.com
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:29:00 -0600

Ric and list,

The downbearing calculations shouldn't be too terrible.  The triangle idea
is on the right track.  It is called vector summation.  The hypotenuse of
the right-triangle is the string tension.  The small side is the downbearin=
force (assuming small downbearing angle).  The angle used should be the
angle between the speaking length of the string and the backscale length.

Example: Downbearing angle =3D 2 degrees, string tension =3D 160 pounds:

String Tension  x  Sin(downbearing angle) =3D Downbearing Force
i.e.   160 x Sin(2 degrees) =3D 5.58 pounds  (3.49% of string tension)

This would be real simple to add to a spreadsheet like the one Ron Overs
posted on Jan. 21st.

Also, be careful with spreadsheet calculations in EXCEL.  My version uses
angular units in "radians" not "degrees".  180 degrees are equal to "pi"
radians (pi =3D ~3.1416), so one radian =3D ~57.3 degrees.  The formula abo=
ve in
EXCEL could be "=3D160*sin(2/57.3)".

This advice has nothing to do with how much downbearing is desirable, only
how it could be calculated.

Having just said that, it appears that if the desired total downbearing is
only in the ballpark of 0.5% to 1.0% of total string tension, then the
average downbearing angle would be in the range of 0.29 to 0.57 degrees.
Hmm...

Have fun!

Best Regards,
Steve Fujan