laminated ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:30:26 EST

=20
In a message dated 2/19/2006 3:15:56 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, =20
sec@overspianos.com.au writes:

Richard,

The downbearing (vector) force on the sound board =20
is equal to the SIN of the angle of deflection=20
times the string  tension.

If there was absolutely no down bearing angle, it=20
follows  that there would be no downbearing force.=20
The SIN of zero is zero so the  string tension=20
vector component force would be zero.

If the down  bearing angle was 90 degrees, with=20
the speaking length segment parallel to  the board=20
and the back scale heading vertically downwards,=20
the down  bearing force would be equal to the=20
string tension, ie. the speaking  length segment=20
would be contributing nothing to the down bearing =20
force, while the back scale segment would be=20
contributing its full  string tension. The SIN of=20
90 equals 1.0. String tension X 1.0 equals  string=20
tension. You can see how it all works.

So if you have 160  lbs unison string tension with=20
a downbearing angle of 2 degrees, the  downbearing=20
vector force for this unison string would be;

Downbearing =3D 160*Sin2.0

Downbearing =3D5.583  lbs

The downbearing force for the whole note would be=20
3 X 5.583 if  the note was a trichord, at 16.75 lb.

If you are using an excel  spreadsheet for your=20
calculations, remember that the downbearing angle =20
will need to be converted to radians.

Yes, there is a large  variation in what people=20
believe is an appropriate level of downbearing. =20
If you measure a few pianos around the place=20
you'll find that there is  a lot of variation in=20
the downbearing angle also.

The 2 degree  figure you quoted I would consider=20
to be too high for a real world piano. =20
B=F6sendorfer have typically set their pianos with=20
angles approaching 2  degrees strung. This is a=20
little higher than I would feel comfortable  with.=20
When Ron N was here a couple of years ago we=20
looked at our no. 5  with a Lowel gauge and it=20
measured almost right on 1.3 degrees over the =20
whole piano. This yields a total downbearing=20
force on our no. 5 of 427  Kg (941 lb). I wouldn't=20
recommend these figures for an older or weaker =20
panel but it works just fine for our I-rib=20
design. Setting the  downbearing angle is a=20
balancing act between how much the board will =20
sink and how much force we wish to apply.

When looking at a given  piano, I suggest that you=20
set up a spreadsheet to calculate the  downbearing=20
force you are planning to set up per rib. Note=20
also that  setting an unstrung angle of say 1.5=20
degrees won't result in a downbearing  force of=20
tension X SIN(1.5). Its the resultant string=20
deflection angle  when the piano is at pitch and=20
the board has stabilised (sunken to  equilibrium)=20
under load which will determine the actual=20
downbearing  force. So you need to make an=20
educated prediction on how much a board will  sink=20
under tension to get an idea of the resultant=20
downbearing  force.

A common scenario with new pianos is for techs to=20
measure a  down bearing figure which on the face=20
of it looks OK, but very often the  sound board=20
has sunken to a state where it is pushed almost=20
completely  flat by the down bearing angle which=20
was set into the piano. In these  instances the=20
board is too weak for downbearing loads which are=20
being  applied or the unstrung angle wasn't set=20
properly. Either the downbearing  unstrung angle=20
should be reduced or the board strengthened to =20
withstand the setting angles to which it is being=20
asked to resist. So  often technicians will look=20
at a sound board and declare that it is fine =20
because the downbearing angle measures some=20
wonderful figure. But if  the board has been=20
pushed inside out before the customer's ink is=20
dry  on the cheque, things ain't too good,=20
regardless of what the downbearing  gauge might=20
indicate.

Get an accurate downbearing gauge and a  thread=20
length for looking at crown, and measure a few=20
pianos old and  new. You'll develop a picture of=20
what's happening.

Ron  O

=20