New Year's rant

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:45:34 -0800

Dale, you're a gentleman --

I think that your kids will get a reprieve from those high house prices at
some point. When prices are so high that nobody can buy, even with
funny-money mortgages, nobody will. Prices may simply collapse, gracefully
or awkwardly depending on how much nerve today's speculators have. If
everyone rushes to the exits at the same time, it could get very messy.

Interesting that the state managed to end up in a situation where house
prices reversed the devastations of Prop. 13 for them. Sort of like how
globalization reversed most of the gains achieved by unions back in the 30's.

I think that part of the reason for the tangled bureaucratic mess so many
people are getting smothered in is that it is human nature to demand the
impossible. We make demands on our supporting institutions which no one
could fulfill. We ask doctors to cure everything without disturbing our
lifestyles. They unfortunately think that they must pretend that they are
able to work miracles. Miracles are in short supply -- so people sue. Then
the lawyers have full employment, but health insurance (which has pretended
that it can pay for anything at all) starts to fall apart. So people demand
that government take a hand, for instance with the seniors' drug subsidies
-- and now government is so deeply in debt that its unfunded liabilities
already taken on, to be paid to us all in the future as our group gets
older and sicker, come to several hundred TRILLION dollars. No one -- NO
ONE -- is ever going to see this money! The Fed is issuing T-bills hand
over fist just to pay the interest on our _present_ debt, and some
"helpful" foreigners are buying them. (What saps -- if they don't, the
T-bills they were foolish enough to buy already will turn into wallpaper.)

So, my thought is -- seeing that this bandwagon everybody is piling onto is
about to suffer a one-hoss-shay collapse -- better to hop off voluntarily
before one gets trapped in the wreckage. So I "just say no" to various
"benefits" which I don't feel are all that big a favor. I'd much rather
have a stove which can get warm from old dried-out apple and grape
prunings, instead of some future federally-funded heat-bill-assistance
program 20 years from now. (you know, from the bankrupt gov't run by
spendthrifts?)

YMMV, as they say. No blame to people who still try to depend on the
system. Who knows, it may last us out ... or not. What I want to do, that
I'm very slow at getting done, is to get more fertile soil and perennial
food plants going in this little yard. Better than assuming that produce
from all over the world will always be there, cheap, in the stores, nicely
picked by the helpful but poorly paid foreigners.

To sum up: I'm trying to move my resources into "real" stuff, instead of
paper promises. No tapping into home equity -- I'd rather have the real
house. And when I fretted over the cost of the masonry stove, I thought
about how little those dollars would be worth in five years if I just put
them into bonds or bank CD's. Very hard to inflate or charge interest on
soapstone. <grin>

Susan