Working while tuning

mps@usol.com mps@usol.com
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:19:30 EST

> Mark,
>          I would, if I were in your shoes, ask myself the question in
> reverse, i.e. how would I feel if the guy I trusted my ________ to
worked
> at this craft part time. Many would not have a problem, especially if
the
> price were less expensive than others in town. Some would. It took
me a
> while before stepping out into full time. I expect I'm not alone. You
have
> to start somewhere. Unless you have a hefty bank roll to keep you
going
> through the first years you will likely need to build a clientele before
> striking out on your own. That's not so bad really as it gives you
time to
> sort out other growing pains like taxes, letterhead, billings, etc. to
name
> a few. As to whether or not the client will be dedicated ... who
knows.
> Always do your very best and they will beat a path to your door.
Bad news
> travels with lightning speed but good news about your work will
travels
> quite slowly. Once you get up a head of steam, however, there's no
stopping
> you. You can only stop yourself by getting sloppy. Good luck to
you!

> best,
> Greg

I appreciate your viewpoints on this. I have in fact asked myself the
question and my answer always winds up being 'How is the quality of
work I receive from them?"
I have a person that I go to for car repairs even though he just does
it as a hobby because the quality is there. I just wasn't sure how you
all thought most piano owners would feel.

And yes...they do appreciate the availability at odd hours don't they?