adhesive for ivories

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:01:44 +1030 (Cen. Australia Daylight Time)

 After many many years of gluing back ivories in the work shop and in the
customers home I have settled for CA glue for both workshop and in the
customers home.=0D
When I first started gluing ivories in the sixties we used a paper glue
called..I think... "Clag" this glue had to be clamped for 24 hours for a
good job. We used to paint the key first with a mixture of the white oxid=
and the Clag glue and let it dry before putting the top on. These ivories
rarely came off, but had the problem of the glue drying time.=0D
The next glue that came popular was the contact glues. But, I started to =
see
them lifting off in school situations, and if not applied thinly enough
showed the color through.=0D
A quick way to color the key top after getting all the finger grease and =
old
glue off is to paint the top of the key with typists "white out" which co=
mes
in white and a ivory color.=0D
In the workshop I use a thin off white water based house paint where dryi=
ng
time is not a factor.=0D
I commonly come across pianos where 10-20 ivories have come off (mostly U=
SA
pianos #$%$^#)=0D
The fast drying time of the "white out" and the CA glue gets me out of
bringing the keys back to the work shop.=0D
The bottom line is to prepare and color the tops perfectly before gluing.=
=0D
=0D
Regards=0D
Robin Stevens ARPT=0D