something about ETD's from an insider

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 00:16:08 +0100

On 6-jan-2006, at 23:43, b98tu@t-online.de wrote:

> No they don=C2=B4t and there are good physical reasons why they =
don=C2=B4t. =20
> (You will find not one tuner at Steinway (at least in Hamburg) who =20
> is allowed to service concerts with an ETD for example). This has =20
> nothing to do with traditionalism or ignorance to modern technology.
> Most modern ETD=C2=B4s are doing fast fourier transformation (FFT) for =
=20
> pitch calculation.
> Be sure, the he ear has no FFT transformator... There is a big =20
> difference in what you get measured and what you hear.
> In some ETD manuals you find sometimes statements of "0.1 Hz accuracy"
> This is true for a signal that would not float in pitch over more =20
> than 2 or 3 seconds to catch enough samples at the current possible =20=

> samplerates. Piano sounds are a really nonlinear matter that can =20
> float in pitch up to some Hz over a second, when strucked firm. By =20
> transforming a signal from the time domain into the frequency =20
> domain with the desired accuracy (what most ETD=C2=B4s do), you loose =20=

> the information when a singal passes exactly what frequency at what =20=

> time. Tuning with an ETD makes it necessary to tune at low volume =20
> levels (Pitch float is less at low volume levels). A good aural =20
> tuner tune with a firm struck, to catch also the transient phase of =20=

> the sound at higher volumes. Low volume tuning is like not voicing =20
> the left pedal, it leaves the transient phase untuned. But =20
> sometimes it may happen, that the pianist also use volumes above mp...
>
> Bernhard Stopper
>

> Qui habet aures audiendi audiat

------------------------------------------------------------------------=20=

------------------------------------------------------------------------=20=

-------

Never the less..........

After having tuned all the piano's in the world, so to speak, I am =20
still mightily happy with my Verituner.
I have tuned a great number of piano's with the Verituner since about =20=

2000, and you know what?
about every tuning I made with the aid of this invention of Dave =20
Carpenter turned out to be  the very best tuning I have ever made in =20
my whole life, with the acceptance of one tuning which was my final =20
exam tuning at Yamaha in Hamamatsu.
That tuning was just as good as the average Verituner tuning.

I t was a shocking discovery, let me tell you....

friendly greetings
from
Andr=C3=A9 Oorebeek

R. Vinkeleskade 1-3hg