Rib scaling question

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:32:01 EST

Mike /Ron
   Mike, Thanks  for the kind comments of  appreciation.
  Mike this stiffness question is surely relevant to  us all. How stiff is
too stiff?
  I've maintained that a too stiff system yields a  sustain that must be
extricated by stiffer & stiffer hammers until it's not  retrievable. ie too much
bearing on an otherwise well supported belly  chokes the sound
     I agree with Ron, usually a safe  thing to do, grin, and it's also true
in this  case the  extra ribs are primarily for crown support & turning them
perpendicular to  the bridge & obtuse to the grain angle of the sound board
increases  stiffness without adding mass.  Del's/Rons have been saying  this for
years now & I finally proved it to myself.
     The upper part of the treble board in  the last octave & half area is
quite stiff simply because the  board spans an ever decreasing span between
belly rail and curve side of  case. Combine this with a stiff bridge on top in the
same vicinity ands  some short spruce ribs and this is going to drive the
tone.  Of  course adequate down bearing assumned.
    Sincerely
  Dale Erwin

>  Primarily for Dale Erwin, (who was generous enough to share his  thoughts
> and his photos with us all through the PTG Journal) but  anyone please feel
> free to chime in if you've got thoughts on  this...
>
> Most rib scale modifications I've seen / heard about  involve additional
> ribs, closer together, and perpendicular to the  bridge, in the treble.
> Reasons:  maintain crown, increase  impedence for longer sustain.  I'm
> wondering how critical it is  to get enough but not too much increased
> stiffness.  Have you  ever gone too far?  What were the resulting symptoms?
>
>  thanks
>
> Mike

The addition of treble ribs is  realistically more important to crown
support in the killer octave than to  high treble stiffness. The
symptom of too much stiffness in the high end  is that short sustain
screaming treble we talked about a couple of weeks  ago. The cure is
mass to get the fundamental resonant frequency  down.

Ron  N

Dale  Erwins Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca  95357