Pitch Raise

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:48:59 -0600

With the Verituner, you begin with the first string in the tenor section and
go up to the top. I strip mute, then tune unisons as I go, pulling out the
strip as unisions are tuned. I work as quickly as I can, not worrying much
about setting pins/strings, just getting things to pitch so I can fine tune
in the second pass. I think with the SAT or other ETDs, you can begin with
the bass and go up.

Pitch raising aurally, I strip mute and tune the middle strings up to the
top, then head to the bass. Then, I go back and tune the other strings to
the middle strings.  But I much prefer using the Verituner. However,
sometimes it is quicker to pitch raise aurally than with the VT when the
pitch is about 70+ cents flat. Then the VT can't really distinguish between
the string you just tuned and the one you're moving to. In these cases, I'll
do three passes anyway, so the first is just getting in the ball park,
although occasionally I'll get pretty lucky and have them really close with
one pass. If this happens, I'll only do two passes.

You can do a one-pass tuning, but you have to be aware that the pitch of the
previously tuned strings changes as you tune the other sections. Often ends
up sounding el yucko. Aurally, I can do it successfully when cost is a
factor and it's off by maybe 8-10 cents. Anything over that and the end
result is not personally satisfactory. If I'm doing this, then I pitch
raise/tune the entire middle section first, then work on stabilizing the
other sections. It's not impossible - just requires practice. And, it's
understood that I'm just getting the piano "better, not perfect." With the
VT, 10 cents is not usually a problem.

John Formsma