Pitch Raise- step by step with RCT

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 06:40:14 -0500

Duaine,

I use the RCT (www.reyburn.com Reyburn Cyber Tuner) on a handheld pocket
pc. When using RCT you have to first get the proper tuning curve for the
piano you are working on. This can be done by using the learn mode or by
pulling up a previously saved tuning curve from the files. I now have
enough pianos in my tuning files that 95% of the time I don't need to do
the learn mode. The learn mode is easy enough: you just sample the A's,
A1 through A5. Takes two minutes

Once you have the tuning curve you set the RCT for pitch raise mode. In
doing so you have to enter the lowest plain wire note so RCT knows where
it is. Plain wire notes require greater overpull percentages.

You start at A0 and work your way up to the top, tuning unisons as you
go. Every time you advance to the next note RCT records the initial
pitch, averages it with the previous 4 or 5 notes, calculates an
overpull and then shifts the target. This all takes place in about a
quarter of a second. You then tune the first string of the note to the
shifted target, then the rest of the unison to the first string.
Normally I work with 2 rubber mutes all the way up the scale where there
is room. In uprights past the treble break I'll use a single mute:
either a cut down rubber mute or a cut down split mute.

Then you set the RCT for normal mode and go back and check, especially
the octave above the bass break. Depending on how nice you are wanting
to leave the piano will dictate how persnickity you get in doing the
final touch up. Normally on pianos out 20-30 cents there will be a dozen
or so notes that I clean up. Total time spent: 45-60 minutes. Charges:
$20-$30 extra.

On pianos out 100-200 cents I may need to do two full passes and clean
up a dozen or two notes on a third pass. Total time spent: 60-90
minutes. Charges: $65 extra. Normally (unless it is a piano I regularly
tune) when I have to use pitch raise mode I charge $1 extra per cent out
(using an average of the worst octave), up to a maximum of $65 extra.

I hope I didn't leave out any steps you were looking for. Don't hesitate
to ask if you need anything clarified. I love using RCT for pitch
raises.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272