Silly Question #2 - Reassembly Order of Upright Action

Rick Bazemore tunericks@yahoo.com
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 04:40:03 -0800 (PST)

I bought a 1907 Conover 53" Upright (has "catcher jacks" instead of bridal straps) on ebay just for learning purposes hoping to get lucky with some quick fixes and then turn around and sell it for whatever it would bring...

  As my luck had it, the entire action was seized with vertigris, but the rest of the piano was in very good condition.  So, I decided to do the proper fix and proceeded to rebush and repin every single action center, including hammers, wippens, and dampers (now would be the appropriate time to grin and say to yourself "what a newbie this one is!")

  Three months later, I am now ready to reassemble the action so I can install new damper felts and new hammers (Ronsen).  My question for today is: "What is the best order to reassemble the action with the thought in mind that I still need to hang hammers (old shanks being used) and install damper felt?

  This piano has the brass hammer rail, so I am also interested in learning where to buy and how to install the long action center wire as opposed to usuing separate pins to install each hammer.

  Thanks

Rick Bazemore, RPT
Social Circle, GA
www.pianosintune.com