Damper Assembly Upgrade

william ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:52:39 -0500

On Jan 8, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Jon Page wrote:

> Consider replacing the guide bushings as well.

It's on the list. The wires were knocking

> Things I look for is the position of the top flange under the guide
> rail and
> that the key lifts the damper to horizontal (parallel to keybed).

My understanding was that it was only supposed to lift it to the line
between the key fulcrum and the underlever center. Anything beyond
that and the key-end-felt-to-lever contact transfers from the lever's
end to to the key's end. That would include your underlever point-of-
level. Not a tremendous loss of leverage, plus occurring as it does
at the end of the stroke. But hey, Real Piano Men like to pick nits,
they're part of our diet.

On Jan 8, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
> Who tested it & on what?  I've  had many  extremely talented  &
> articulate players use My D in many concerts with no such result or
> complaint. Many types of music as well.

That would be Don Mannino, right (not Dawn Anna Marie Osmond). So
which half-pedaling? U.C. orsustain?

> A while ago I posted a nifty retro-fit  for the pitman which
> required no drilling.
> Attached is a photo of the parts. The rod is cut from an old pedal
> rod.

You're talking 5/16" brass, right? This retro-fit is also on the list.

On Jan 8, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
> Or make em.

Much neater.

I'm on my way, guys. Muchos Thanquos

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.
wbps@vermontel.net

"Trust me, you've got all the equipment, You just need to read the
manual"
     ...........Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde"