Alan and David on F3/A4

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:57:04 -0600

At 11:14 AM 1/9/2006 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Bob,
>
>Then how do explain Mr Renard's results of 2.3 cents sharp using F3 as the
>reference note? This is all smoke and mirrors now. Do what works for
>you--but don't confuse a beginner with obfustications.

The confusion is: just what are you tuning to?

If you go to the 5th partial of theoretically correct to equal tempered F2,
you will be at 436.535Hz. (discounting inharmonicity)   So... that means
that your A440Hz fork WILL produce a note which is sharp of that harmonic.
Major 3rd FA is _supposed to be beating!

I didn't think we were supposed to be tuning to F2 or F3. I always thought
that 440Hz was the reference pitch.

The F need not be in tune to use the fork, just flat enough to produce a
beat rate which can be easily compared. If you get the beat rates F2(piano)
to _A4_(piano) and F2(piano) to 440Hz FORK the same, the A on the piano
_will_ be at 440.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Every great idea has a disadvantage equal to or exceeding the greatness of
the idea.
  -Murphy's Law calendar