Damper Assembly Upgrade

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:25:11 -0500

>I'm still not quite clear on how it works...what is the nylon block for?

Look at the photo, it is the caul for pressing/gluing the suede onto
the blocks.

>If I have it correct...the leather cover blocks with the dimples
>have the pedal rod in >between...?   If so don't you have the same
>problem of the rod creating friction at the >ends...need for
>lubrication...squeeks...

Of course one would lubricate the rod ends to reduce friction. The
problem with the OEM pitman is
the scrubbing/friction on the tray and lever with the grip of the
bushed hole in the keybed.
What my system eliminates is the need to lie on your back under the
piano with a drill and hopefully get the hole drilled into the bottom
of the tray in the best location, also the lever.  As the pedal is
engaged the rod moves forward, so it is critical to locate the pin
holes in the tray and lever, which
prompted the use of the blocks as movable supports.

My first proto-type of this block/rod system was a dowel with pins. I
first thought this would be easier because I only needed to glue a
flat piece of suede to the block but I needed to make a conical
shaped hole into the wood to allow the pin to arc as the pedal is
engaged. A drawback came in the length of the pin coming out the end
of the dowel and the depth of the block. I decided this application
was not optimal.  Hence the dimpled blocks to the accept the rod ends.

It is a little labor intensive in its fabrication. My first runs of
block was square but after making them
I realized it would be more cost effective to cut them from a dowel
rather than cut stock square.
Then there's drilling the dimple but the longest time is spent
cutting, shaping and polishing the rod ends.  The best time spent is
sitting around with your feet up while the glue dries.  :-)
I made two cauls for limited production.

>the advantage to the Steinway retrofit is the universal type joint
>of the punching on each >end of the dowel...

I haven't seen the S&S retro-fit system.
--

Regards,

Jon Page