Lovely Overdamper Piano

Pierre Gevaert pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:07:08 +0100

=20

  _____ =20

De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] De la =
part
de Joseph Garrett
Envoy=E9 : mercredi 11 janvier 2006 3:03
=C0 : pianotech
Objet : Re: Lovely Overdamper Piano

=20

Joe,

=20

In one case I used felt wich was specially made for  overdampers and =
this
felt looked more dense and heavyer than modern damper felt.

Another time I just ordered a complete set from Renner (with the wood =
core)
and just screwed them on. (this is expensive)

=20

I didn=92t know that overdampers were designed to have an intentional
after-ring ?

=20

I tought they just were made because it was cheaper and easyer to =
produce
than under dampers?

Any way it is amazing to see that under dampers were used as early as =
1825
(i think on a Roller&Blanchet french upright)

=20

So this after-ring question would make sense ? (even if Bluthner made
overdampers that were effectively damping)

=20

Pierre

=20

Pierre,

I have no problem with replacing the damper felt, as long as it is the
CORRECT felt, with the CORRECT fiber orientation.<G> To replace the =
damper
felt with MODERN type is blastphamous in my opinion, as it makes it =
sound
like a "wimpy" modern piano and no longe mimics the "ancient" =
instruments,
which is the intent of the design. This also follows (especially), with
Square Grands. In that particular case, you open up a VERY LARGE can of
worms!

I equate the modernization of OverDamper Pianos as trying to make Mason =
&
Hamlin sound/play like a Steinway! (It can be done, but WHY?)

The scaling and the intended overring of the dampers makes music of a
different character, especially when they are tuned in a Victorian
Temperament!<G>

Regards,

=20

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)