The Beat that isn't -- or is it?

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:46:13 +0100

Kent:

The sine waves that I combined together to make the wave file I posted
show no measureable overtones using Tunelabs Inharmonicity tool. Neither
could Cybertuner pick anything up.  Now the phase display that Tunelab
has showed a very intermittent response at around 880 for the 440
signal.  This response faded in and out and its frequency wavered quite
a bit. I doubt that this is an overtone per se. I fail to see how these
non existing coincidents can account for the beat rate in the wave file.
And so I question whether or not it is there. This echos Ed's and others
ponderments and its a fair question. And  I dont see that  simple
coincident partials theory provides an answer to it.

Every link I find that describes tuning forks describes them as
instruments that have (for all practical purposes) no overtones.  Such
as the below. Several sights which describe experiments like the one you
did with your cybertuner attribute (sometimes) presence of very weak
overtones that are not accounted for by the design of the tuning fork to
sympathetic vibration from surrounding material... such as what ever you
grounded your tuning fork on.  John Walker tuning forks make a real big
point out of emphazising the <<overtone free>> characteristic of their
tuning forks in all their advertising.   One other point. The duration
and strength of your <<overtone>> is not sufficient to account for the
long duration and intensity of the beating between the fork and the non
coincident F3.

I say something doesnt add up.

Cheers
RicB