Lovely OverDamper Piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:45:03 -0600

> I will reiterate: LOTSALUCK! You may improve the damping, somewhat, but
> you are NEVER going to get one to dampen as a modern Upright can. It is
> physically impossible given the Physics/Geometry involved. It is a
> futile effort for what little improvement can be made. AND, is it truly
> an "improvement", if you are negating the INTENDED "sound" of these
> instruments? I think not.
> Also, if the customer doesn't like that "sound" then they NEED a modern
> piano. PERIOD!
>

> Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)

I'll sure agree with you there, Joe. They need a modern piano. As
for how they were INTENDED to sound, I wasn't aware you worked at a
factory in the 19th century building these things, or knew the
designer personally. You're a lot older than you look. So all those
flat, dead compression crowned soundboards were INTENDED to sound
like that too, and those fine tuned front duplexes are SUPPOSED to
whistle and wail like that. Low tenors SHOULD honk like an asthmatic
goose, with as great a tone difference as possible across the
bass/tenor break. Killer octaves SHOULD have that fine splatter
attack, and short sustain, and high trebles OUGHT to dink, and then
shut up. They're SUPPOSED to be like that, or there wouldn't be so
many of them. Ok, I GOT it. I guess I should quit trying to IMPROVE
anything, and concentrate on finding the ideal caster oil.

Yea, it's a pun.

Ron N