(careful, it is about temperaments)

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:32:36 -0800

Let's not parse words.  I think my meaning was clear.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Israel Stein
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 7:52 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: (careful, it is about temperaments)

At 09:17 AM 1/12/2006, "David Love" <davidlovepianos@comcast.net> wrote:
>Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:16:22 -0800
>From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@comcast.net>
>To: "'An open list  for piano technicians'" <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Subject: RE: (careful, it is about temperaments)
>Message: 3
>
>I think you have gone a bit far afield.  Nobody is arguing the
"correctness"
>of using WT or not.  The issue is whether or not the music must be heard in
>WT to capture the intent of the composer.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Reread your message, David, and see where you are writing about
what's "authentic" and what isn't, and then we can argue about who
has gone far afield. In any case, "intent of the composer" is
precisely what is addressed in my message. Assuming that we can
discern it from a composer's score and other writings and records of
the composer's action, the composer's intent is to evoke certain
feelings and reactions in the listener by using the musical
vocabulary of his time and place. The problem is that his audience is
steeped in that same musical vocabulary - so the intention is
fulfilled by faithfully imitating whatever that composer would do.
What we are doing, however, is playing the music "in translation" -
by musicians who are , like it or not, steeped in the Romantic and
post-Romantic musical vocabulary, to audiences whose tastes are
pretty much set by exposure to this musical vocabulary, on
instruments and in venues where the musical devices available to and
envisioned by 17th through 19th century composers are way too subtle
to be very effective. So today's performers must find ways to achieve
the composer's intent in a musical language and using devices that
work in today's context - while maintaining some sort of fidelity to
the composer's vision. (This latter, by the way, is - ironically -
something that the composers in question did not bother with when
dealing with music of their predecessors. Mozart rearranged Handel's
Messiah to suit his audience's tastes when he conducted it, rather
than being faithful to the original score.)

As for temperament - whether or not Well temperaments were in use in
the classical era - in today's musical context it would not be a very
useful device to further the composer's vision, since it is not part
of the musical vocabulary of most musicians and audiences. As has
been extensively written here, most pianists cannot tell the
difference, and neither can audiences. Besides, the size of todays
concert venues and the tuning distortions required by the
inharmonicity of the modern piano do tend to obscure the subtleties
of Historical tunings to all but the well trained ears of Ed Foote
and others like him (or should I say us..) So playing Mozart on a
Steinway D in Avery Fisher Hall in Valotti/Young is probably not the
most effective expressive device in today's musical culture to
fulfill a composer's "intent". Today's audiences respond to
expressive devices based on dynamics and emphasis - not to subtleties
of tuning. Which could be one more reason why those performers who
might have been aware of the temperament issue simply did not bother
with it. In today's musical culture HT is definitely an acquired
taste (or listening skill?)...

Which is not to say that performers who feel that HT enhances their
understanding of the music and aids the performance value should not
work with it. Just that in the context of public performance it has
little relevance to today's musical culture. This, of course, can
change (but I won't hold my breath).

Israel Stein

Behalf