Sauter

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:32:43 -0600

There is an ongoing discussion with Ulrich Sauter at
PianoWorld.com.  I got to ask him about usage of titanium.  He
reports it is used for bridge-pins, duplex bearings, and hitch-pins.  He says,

In our concert grand we unse titanium as material for the duplex
scale parts, which helps to make the sound more clear and pure,
loudness is less affected.

He reports that European manufacturers came late to duplex tuning and
further comments,
A duplex scale is something like vagobonding tones under control, but
every piano has a "natural" duplex scale, more or less. A well
designed duplex scale can ad some clearness to the sound, but it is
always connected with the quality of the soundboard. There are many
duplex scale designs with different partial tones invilved, but in my
opinion, this is negletable, they all work almost the same way.
His use of "vagabonding" would coincide with our use of sympathetic
resoance.  He also feels that the front duplex is more important.

The ebony bridge capping in the treble is two layers cross
grained.  The purpose is to reduce/eliminate splitting along the
grain resulting from side-bearing especially in the treble where the
pins can tend to form a line in the grain.

Just a little of what's going on today.

Andrew Anderson