Pianos at the Awahnee in Yosemite?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 01:20:56 EST

Hi Dave
  Many years ago I had the privilege of rebuilding the 9  ft Steinway at the
Awahnee Lodge, in Yosemite National Park.  I was  refereed for the Job by then
regular technician Dennis Scott.
    The piano was purchased originally in 1927  from Sherman Clay S. F. & it
went directly to the park & has been there  ever since.  It has a nice orignal
board. with one shim.
    It was given a new action & re- strung  waaaay back about 15 or more
years ago.  As with many large  institutions,  management seemd short sighted  &
did not wish to  spend real money , or so it seems, to keep the instruments up.
 I tried to  work a resaonble deal with managemnt once upon a time for
routine  service & they didn't even want to pay mileage.  & no perks ie  free rooms
while working.  Even in spite of the fact that the piano gets  played on
average about 5 hours on an average day.  Go figure.
  I do not know who tunes  for them.
  It is stunningly beautiful  any time of  year
  Regards
  Dale Erwin

HI folks,

This one's primarily for the northern California contingent.

I spent last weekend up in Yosemite.  While I was there,  I heard that there
were a couple of large Steinways at the Awahnee Hotel  in the valley.  I was
wondering if anybody on this list tunes, or knows  who tunes them?  I was
hoping to maybe get a barter deal for a  night....

Yosemite is beautiful in the winter.  Of the millions of tourists  who visit
there each year, very few of them visit in the cold season.   Quite a peaceful
experience.

Dave  Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560