Lightening touch by changing damper timing redux

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:13:57 EST

List,

Some of you may remember that a few months back I was asked to lighten the
action in a Seiler 186 grand.  I went about it by raising the damper lift  to
occur just before letoff.  Instead of getting two bumps--one from damper
lifting underlever and the other from jack hitting button--you get a single,  more
elongated bump. The method I used at that time was raising the damper  wire
blocks.  It worked quite well, but it required regulating all of the  dampers to
lift evenly from the tray as well.  The whole thing took around  2 hours.

A couple of days ago, I achieved the same result on an earlier model  of
Seiler (180) by bending the spoons upward slightly.  Worked like a  charm, and
took about 1/4 the time.

I've read opinions about this where some techs say that changing  damper
timing "doesn't really lighten the touch, it only gives that  perception."  As a
piano player, the difference was quite noticeable in  terms of weight and
control.  As a tech, I noticed a five gram difference  when I measured it.

The best two features of this operation?  1).  It  works   2).  It's easily
reversible.

Dave  Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560