Lightening touch by changing damper timing redux

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:59:12 -0500

Just a little clarification, work=force X distance. It is the force
required to move the mass of the damper lever that causes work to be
done. This force would of course be greater on the planet Jupiter. ;-)

It seems to me that also entering the equation is the amount of inertial
energy of the entire system. If the damper lever is contacted earlier in
the keystroke the system is moving slower and has less inertial energy.
If it contacts later the velocity is also greater at that point and so
is the inertial energy. With the greater inertial energy any force the
system encounters like the damper lever becomes less consequential.

Consider a 4x4 post in the ground being hit by a car. If the car is only
going 5 mph it will probably stop the car with a pretty good jolt. If
the car is going 150 mph you won't even feel it.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802