Stable Schiedmayer (Kawai built)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:16:22 -0500

Anyone willing/able to state the ABCs of logarithmic and/or =
semi-logarithmic piano string scaling? What kind of scaling is Ron N, =
and Del using? I'm remember the difference between graphing on log-log =
paper and semi-log paper, but fail to envision how this specifically =
relates to piano string scaling. Is it always one way or the other - or =
can one design a log-log string scale OR a semi-log scale? Exactly what =
factor(s) make the logarithmic progression(s)? Which make linear =
progression(s)? I know sometimes in Del's scale designs, he will have =
the long bridge (some factor of it) follow the semi-logarithmic =
progression (or is it logarithmic?), but then he will abandon that on =
the bass bridge - I think because of physical limitations of the =
soundboard/plate, etc. - what's that all about? What are some of the =
ramifications of all that?

If many manufacturers don't follow a log or semi-log progression on =
their long bridges, what do they follow? (Watch out, there may be some =
worms in that can!)

I have to admit, I know very little about piano string scaling. Can =
anyone recommend some reading that would help with these types of =
questions?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  I had the rare occasion to step into my ex's house last night as I was =
picking up my son.  She has a Schiedmayer 180 that seldom gets played.

  I reported on this piano a couple of years ago, after it had rested in =
it's current location for a couple of years.  At that time, after a move =
of 150 miles from a dry climate to a more humid one, it had held pitch =
and tune remarkably well, despite not having been tuned for two years or =
so.

  Two years later, same thing.  All the As from 2 to 5 are within 2 =
cents of correct pitch.  6 and 7 are slightly sharp, 0 and 1 slightly =
flat.  The tuning--well, it isn't horrible.  The unisons are holding =
surprisingly well, in fact. =20

  Last time I posted on this, Ron O. commented that the stability was =
due in large part to the logarithmic bridge.  Being clueless in this =
department, I'm curious how this would make a difference. =20

  I didn't have time or nerve to delve into parts removal, but I was =
wondering whether the pinblocks are configured differently than Kawai =
grands.=20

  Dave Stahl