Soundboard rib question

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:36:39 -0800

I have been biting my tongue on this one, then I re-read the original=20
posting that said that any replies would be gratefully received..  so,=20=

you asked for it...

Several others have questioned the sense in rebuilding and "improving"=20=

such an old heritage instrument.  I'm firmly on that side of the fence.

No matter how much it is "improved" or "butchered", (depending on your=20=

perspective,) such an instrument can never become something it never=20
was.  If someone wants a nice grand to play on, I suggest buying a=20
contemporary piano.  It is a slippery slope to change the rib design,=20
just because we know more today than Bl=FCthner did 150 years ago.  Just=20=

because we CAN do it, doesn't mean we should.  Where do you stop? =20
Restring with Mapes International Gold wire and nickel plated Denro=20
pins?   Install a new back action and large dampers to finally stop=20
that annoying after-ring?  Fit a new action with Tokiwa Turbo Wippens? =20=

Imadegawa hammers perhaps??  Someone brought up the "oldest piano case=20=

in the world".   (Some way to go down in history as a piano=20
schmuck/tech!)   I can see old Julius Bl=FCthner now, pounding his fists=20=

onto the underside of his casket lid, shouting "no, NO",  six feet=20
under.

It behooves us to learn from such mistakes.   Such an instrument should=20=

stay in its original condition and live a collection where it is cared=20=

for and available for study.  If it were a Steinway from the same year,=20=

there is no doubt Steinway would like to own it again.  I would think=20
the Bl=FCthner family would be very interested in this specimen built by=20=

their great ancestor.

Admittedly opinionated,

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info@pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com

On Jan 21, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Ric Brekne wrote:
> I have this first year production Bluthner straight strung that I am=20=

> getting ready to pull the soundboard out of.  One of the options I am=20=

> considering is to alter the ribbing system on this.  The instrument=20
> measures about 195 cm, and has only 6 ribs. These are not very=20
> substantial ribs at that... The ribs are wide and short and get taller=20=

> in the middle and have a  _^ shape as opposed to a rounded shape.. =20
> 28mm wide, 9mm tall along their sides, 14 mm tall in the center.  =20
> There is a long extra "rib" that runs roughly parallel to the bridge=20=

> and crosses over the cross grain ribs as well.  It measures 55 mm wide=20=

> and 15mm tall.
>
> I suppose given the dimensions of the existing ribs this was a so=20
> called <<natural>> crowned board in its time (ie compression with flat=20=

> ribs in a flat caul). My question is just how much beefing up of the=20=

> system is advisable ?  I am assuming  the amount of downward force on=20=

> the board was significantly less then present instruments have.  I=20
> want to try and keep close to the origional sound picture these=20
> instruments had but at the same time I want the thing to be=20
> structurally strengthened (if necessary) and try and create a bit=20
> cleaner treble then fortes I have heard typically have.
>
> I could just pack the thing off to Bolduc and get a re-creation.... a=20=

> nice easy option I suppose... but before I do that I wanted to hear=20
> what some of you think.
>
> I will be greatfull for any replies.
>
> Cheers
> RicB