Can anything be done with a '"Teflon Steinway", short of action replacement ?

Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:21:30 -0500

Gordon -
Others have made some good points about possible causes for your
discomfort, apart from the teflon itself.  In fact, your post quite spare
of useful detail.  You say it feels heavy, clumsy, and uneven.  You say you
play the piano daily, but you don't say if you tune and regulate it.  Have
the hammers been replaced?  If so, with what?  What, precisely is the
friction like at the various centers (hammer; rep; jack; rep. lever; damper
(both)?  You don't mention the action clicking.  Is that because it's been
repinned?  If so, it may have been made to tight.  Has it been
regulated?  What shape are the knuckles?  Where are the jacks aligned?  If
the rep levers are tight to too tight, the rep. lever spring might be
noticeably  strong.  Any other useful info you can provide?

That's enough to start with.

David Skolnik