Tuning Hammer

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:57:25 -0500

Hi John,
You mentioned a hammer with the ball on the end.  When I was doing some =
tuning training recently, the instructor had one the Joe  Goss sells.  I =
think thy're pretty impressive levers.  The one you mention is a =
different brand, but similar in that it has a ball on the end.  It's =
amazing how many types of tuning levers are available out there. Ilove =
the feel of the Schaff 21, but I need to order a longer head for when I =
do grands, the head it came with, a 13g I believe, it hits the rim up =
toward the trebble section, and one has to get in a crink to tune with =
it. =20
Marshall
ps. I'm curious, how did you attach the wood ball from Hobby Lobby to =
your lever?
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Formsma=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Tuning Hammer

  David,

  I've used the Jahn extension lever for 5-6 years and have loved it. If =
I were buying a new lever, I'd look at the Jahn w/o the extension and =
also at the Fujan (http://www.fujanproducts.com). The Fujan should be =
lighter. I've seriously considered the Fujan, but have needed to =
allocate money to other places in my business.=20

  Whatever you get, either get one with a knob/ball thing on the end or =
make your own ball. I made mine from a wooden ball from Hobby Lobby.

  If you or anyone else is interested, I have a very nice Hale rosewood =
extension lever that I used for a year or so before I got the Jahn. It's =
in excellent condition, and I can send a picture if you're interested. =
Contact me privately at john@formsmapiano.com.

  John Formsma

  David wrote:=20
    I have been tuning  as hobby for the past year.  I have been using a =
student tuning hammer and am looking at getting a better hammer.  I am =
currently looking at the No. 21C - Compact Extendable from Schaff and =
Jahn Lightweight Tuning Hammer from Pianotek.  I would appreciate any =
input that may help me in making my decision.=20

    Thanks=20
    David McCausland