Moisture Meter

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 06:19:17 -0500

Indeed, you are correct regarding Mrs. Smith's living room RH and the MC of
her soundboard. Before buying a moisture meter though I would talk to the
manufacturer's technical expert and make sure their unit will give accurate
measurements when there is a finish on the wood and when the wood is only
3/8-inch thick. I have an idea those factors might throw the meter off.
Also, I would wonder if any affordable unit would be accurate enough to be
of any use - I think most of these lower-end units (read: affordable) are
better at distinguishing between "green" and "seasoned" wood (which is what
most users of those meters are looking for) as opposed to distinguishing
between a soundboard of 9% MC and one of 11%. I'm not saying it won't work -
I've never used one - but I'd sure recommend talking to an expert before
spending the $$.

If you do decide to get one, please let us know what you got and how it
seems to work!

Terry Farrell