tuning

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:58:08 -0500

Hi everyone,
How often is too often to tune a piano?  I typically see twice a year, =
or even every three months.  Is anything less than that necessary such =
as once a month or even once a week which I 've heard of?
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Ilvedson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:44 PM
  Subject: Key return speed

  Hi

  I'm guessing the English action refered too is more or less similar to =
the following diagram.

  As you can see, the key has to pretty much make it back up on its own. =
 There is a repetition spring to bring back the jack however, and if the =
hammer is checked high enough and the return spring is strong enough it =
is possible to get the jack under the knuckle quite quickly, aiding in =
the return of the key.  That said, the key has to be friction free =
enough and weighted appropriatly. It simply has to get moving on its =
own.

  Not much you can do except regulate checking as high as you can get =
away with, get rid of excess friction, and make sure you have enough =
weight back of the balance rail pin.=20

  Cheers
  RicB

  Ed writes:

  I dunno what is involved in these actions.  It would be easy enough to =
place=20
  a weight on the end of the key and see what happens.=20

  regards, =20
  =20
  Ed Foote RPT=20