Yamaha GB-1 What?

william ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:55:27 -0500

On Jan 26, 2006, at 4:09 PM, Alan Barnard wrote:
> Anything special I should be looking for? Does this piano have low
> tenor/low tension problems like the GA-1? (And if so, do I tell the
> customer so they won't blame me when it sounds like crap in three
> months?)

For one thing they changed the plain steel at the end of the tenor
for 3(?) notes of bi-chord. You know, the kind thing any of us would
have done if they'd asked us to fix the GA-1.  I've only seen one on
a dealer's floor briefly (back in NOV) and haven't tuned it (nor was
the tuning on that piano fresh enough to allow me to judge the
inharmonicity at that end of the bridge). But my first thought was
the Yamaha was testing their market again, seeing if those people who
go for a 4-1/2' polyester cutie could tell the difference between a
good string scale and a bad one.

You'd be doing us a public service, Alan, if you measured and posted
the string scale in that bottom tenor octave.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.
wbps@vermontel.net

"So come on down, for the best in fidelity"
     ...........AM radio spot for the local Radio Shack store.
(Thank you, I'll take a space between the last two words.)