frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 05:56:27 -0500

At least with respect to pianos found on large cruise ships, and in my =
case, exclusively Yamaha C3s, whereas the low tenor does indeed swing =
more than the rest of the scale, if there is a significant change in =
weather (especially if causing the ship's heat to come on), often the =
entire scale will move up or down a bit fairly evenly. And for pianos on =
the ship, I will float the pitch anywhere between A440 and A442. I =
usually keep 'em pretty close to 440, but if they do go sharp a tad, I =
tune 'em where they are.

Hey, if you can't float the pitch on a ship..........

I find it rare that I need to adjust pitch on every string on these =
pianos during a tuning. I service them every other week. It seems most =
often that the worst case is that you only get a dozen or two "freebies" =
(string not needed any tension adjustment). Once in a while I don't even =
have to touch anything up. Often it's just cleaning up a handful of =
unisons. Once or twice a year I run across a piano on the cruise ship. =
that actually needs a pitch raise - but even that is usually only after =
the ship has been in dry dock for a week or so and the climate control =
has been shut off. Other than that, with the climate control going 24/7, =
and these ships being the length of three football fields, the climate =
tends to be very consistent on the cruise ships.

With regards to Robin's comments, when the low tenor does drift =
independent of the rest of the piano, most often I will be adjusting the =
low tenor to match the rest of the piano. But really, whatever section =
is between A440 or just above will be my target pitch - that way, if I =
have to do some pitch adjustment, and I can have a "freebie" section, I =
go for it!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

        Jason..I think in the "real world" the sharp or flat factor =
applies mostly to the Tenor section. Rarely, in my opinion does the =
piano go sharp or flat EVENLY over the whole piano.... Here lies the =
problem...If the Tenor goes sharp, do you raise the Bass and treble to =
match? or do you lower the Tenor section?

        Bit of..Six of one or, half a dozen of the other!

        Robin Stevens=20