frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:07:22 -0500

What he said.

Early in my career I was called in to tune a university piano- the first
time ever. The piano had just been moved from the basement to the third
floor and it was out something like 75 cents. I was really sweating it.
Nobody was around to authorize additional expense for a pitch correction
and I did not know what was reasonable and customary. I did not know
what the university expected from me or what their regular guy would do.
I don't really remember what I ended up doing but it was a no win for
me. The piano did not hold the tuning well and word quickly spread among
the faculty that my tunings didn't hold. Since that time stability has
become the paramount concern for me. It seems to me that is the primary
concern of most pianists.

Like John, and anybody else who has tuned the same pianos twice a year
for 20 years can attest, I run across pianos that consistently go 20 or
more cents flat in the winter to 20 or more sharp in the summer. If you
put those on 440 every time the swings are huge. If you split the
difference they aren't. Anybody who has been tuning the same pianos long
enough can attest to this.

For me it is a matter of professionalism, but I define it a little
differently than Tim. Most of my clients have no clue what 440 is let
alone having some kind of expectation that is where the piano will be.
They want the piano to sound good most of the time and that is what I
try to provide them within the constraints of their budgets. If they
can't spring for a DampChaser then I'll do my best to keep it as stable
as possible.

Even if 440 is what they want my method keeps it closer to 440 for most
of the year. After I explain it to them in those terms they are content
with the results.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272