frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:45:03 -0500

I realize that some tuners prize the opportunity for pitch correction
and tuning then boast about the money making venture.

For the most part, I see that as a disservice to the customer.
I'm not referring to major pitch corrections of a quarter to half
tone flat but within 2 to 4 beats either side.

Unless there is a compelling reason to maintain 440 because of
playing with fixed-pitch instruments or a Pianomation or similar;
floating the pitch benefits the customer financially and reduces pin
wrenching on the piano. The tuning is more stable having not
subjected the piano to a tension change.

For those compelled to set the piano to 440 at a tuning consider
where the pitch will reside between tunings. I instruct the owners
that if I tune it to 438 now that it will traverse through 440 as the
humidity elevates and ending up sharp of 440. Then the tuning
during high humidity will be at 442 or 444 depending on the
fluctuation. Once I know the range, I can tune it seasonally to
maintain a 440 median, also taking into account the relative
position of the bass and treble; levelling off. I strive for the least
overall tension change.

Where there has been a financial concern but not a pitch concern,
I have pulled it up the maximum amount to be still left with an
appreciable tuning. Over a few years the piano is at pitch.
Or yanked it up for beginners' ear training sacrificing the extremes;
they'll be pulled-in with subsequent tunings as the students progress.

You can pull it up 4 bps (16 cents) and be left with an appreciable tuning.
--

Regards,

Jon Page