frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:28:58 -0500

Well I appreciate having the charge of being unethical withdrawn. ;-)

On the subject of pins loosening with frequent tuning. I think the problem
is poor wood selection in the pinblock. Some pinblocks stand up very well to
repeated tunings. Others do not. I've noticed for example that Story and
Clark studio pianos seem to quickly turn to mush. Repinning with oversize
will work for about 5-8 years then they start getting loose again. Now I use
CA glue which seems to work better.

Extremely hard blocks also seem to not hold up well to frequent tunings.
When the wood is so hard the pin cannot be fitted with as much interference
as with on a softer block. Less interference (i.e., larger hole
drilled)means there is less tolerance for variation of hole sizes in
drilling, and less tolerance of variations of tuning pin sizes. This adds up
to less tolerance for wearing of the wood with frequent tunings. Just my
intuitive analysis.

I've done experiments with cabinet makers plywood, very strong and lots of
laminations. But it is entirely unsuitable for a pin block. Just a few turns
of a tuning pin and the torque quickly evaporates. Anyway it just affirmed
to me that the quality of the block is critical for frequent tuning. Others
on the list are eminently more qualified than I to judge what varieties and
grain selections constitute a quality and long wearing block.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802