frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Avery avery1@houston.rr.com
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:42:23 -0600

Falconwood

At 12:28 PM 1/29/2006, you wrote:
>Well I appreciate having the charge of being unethical withdrawn. ;-)
>
>On the subject of pins loosening with frequent tuning. I think the problem
>is poor wood selection in the pinblock. Some pinblocks stand up very well to
>repeated tunings. Others do not. I've noticed for example that Story and
>Clark studio pianos seem to quickly turn to mush. Repinning with oversize
>will work for about 5-8 years then they start getting loose again. Now I use
>CA glue which seems to work better.
>
>Extremely hard blocks also seem to not hold up well to frequent tunings.
>When the wood is so hard the pin cannot be fitted with as much interference
>as with on a softer block. Less interference (i.e., larger hole
>drilled)means there is less tolerance for variation of hole sizes in
>drilling, and less tolerance of variations of tuning pin sizes. This adds up
>to less tolerance for wearing of the wood with frequent tunings. Just my
>intuitive analysis.

I'm starting to notice this with one or our 3 D's that have been
rebuilt using a
Falconwood pinblock. I now have several pins on one of them that are getting
very loose/jumpy, whatever. Primarily in the bass. But it shouldn't
be happening
after only 10+ yrs.! IMO. The humidity doesn't vary all that much but they are
tuned (or at least touched up) several times a week. Usually!

Avery