Whether the weather?

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:45:51 -0600

Ed,

I'm just parroting what Mr. Campbell said. He said Guangzhou is pretty humid
-- roughly like the tropics in S. America. Maybe they don't have the huge
climate changes that many places in the U.S. experience. ???

After sending my post, I realized that I have tuned a Ritmuller vertical,
which is made by Pearl River. I think with some voicing it would sound
pretty decent. Time will tell how these pianos hold up. At least the
pinblocks aren't deteriorating in the first 3-4 years of use like some of
the early Pearl Rivers did.

John Formsma

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of A440A@aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 8:30 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Whether the weather?

In discussing Pearl River pianos and their intended markets, John writes:

<< What the
Chinese didn't realize at first is that the climate in other markets is not
the same as in China. Because of that, the U.S. instruments suffered from
the maladies that we have observed. Now, those things have been corrected,
and the pianos are supposed to be good quality. >>

Greetings,
    I still don't understand how this is.  The climate in Florida is as
different from that in Nebraska as the climate in San Francisco is from West
Texas.
 And all four of the places are different from one another!
    In other words, exactly what part of the U.S. are the Chinese building
their instruments for?
Wondering,
Ed Foote RPT